October 19, 2014

More Kuta, more drinks and a surprisingly intimate massage - BALI DAY 3

Day three of my Bali adventure started with a thorough observation of my burnt as hell skin. I went through a night of crazy tossing and turning and watched "Frozen" in a desperate attempt to help me cool my body. You know, through visual stimulation...I said I was desperate, OK!

It was also the day that I had to say goodbye to my five star luxury hotel, and move into a more budget friendly version because my friends were arriving from Austria that night. The excitement of seeing my best friend overpowered the aches of my devil red decolletage and soon I was at breakfast again, stuffing away and getting excited for the day. The sound of taksis beeping their horns filled the hazy morning air and I couldn't shake a feeling of deep gratitude. I have always pulled a lot of energy from travel, from the unexpected, the different. That morning I felt as though I had stepped into a fountain of youth.

Of course, being all burnt up, I couldn't dream of going to the beach, so I booked in for an aloe vera treatment at my resort's in house Spa. I was greeted with the most refreshing cup of cucumber and mint infused tea I have ever enjoyed and am still searching the web for the recipe. It's little things like a cup of tea that tend to stick with me and that I associate with a travel day well spent. And yess.....this was the awkwardly weird boob massage I mentioned a few posts ago. I didn't even think this was legal, but yes the lady touched my boobies and rubbed aloe all over them. Ice cold aloe. So imagine (or don't) me lying there, covered in aloe, all weirded out but unable to control my body, which suggested I was everything BUT weirded out. I think it's more than appropriate to imagine a "ping" sound in your heads now.

After showering in shame I headed out into Seminyak once again, killing those few hours in between check out and check in at the other hotel. I ended up browsing the few little shops, smelling the incense and cigarettes everywhere and eventually ended up craving alcohol. What is it with holidays awakening an irresistible need to booze it up all the time? Anyway, two beers and an unbelievable watermelon cocktail later I stumbled back to pick up my luggage, tipped everyone at the Courtyard more than I would like to admit in retrospect (vodka at lunch time brings out that flamboyant millionaire widow in me) and hopped in a cab en route to the next hotel.
$ 5 cocktails - say no more....

I was intrigued by the family business charm and cosiness that was Puri Wisata in Legian. A huge pool, cute little reception area and beautiful room awaited. What was even better was the location, directly on one of the main roads, but hidden away enough you won't notice the traffic or the ever present noisy construction work.


Do you like my cut-offs? No? What about that gallant tissue box?
After check in I ice creamed (yeah, that's a verb) my way down Kuta's main streets, visited a temple, complained about the fact I couldn't have entered that temple if I was menstruating (way to shame women on their normal bodily functions that ensure the continuity of our species!), tried to save a puppy that didn't need saving at ALL and convinced many a sales person that I didn't need a penis shaped bottle opener thanks but no thanks. Here are some photos:



I hate myself a little for this shot being out of focus.


Life is pretty great sometimes and I was spun out to learn that another Austrian friend, someone Babsi and I went school with, was in Bali for a foreign exchange semester at the time. Obviously I was stoked to see my best friend of twelve ridiculously awesome years, but to have yet another Oesterreicher join us for dinner and drinks was just beyond sweet.

Austrian party.
Many drinks were had. I ate too spicy food and nearly suffocated. We shared a Shi-Sha. It was a swell ending to my third day in Bali. Swell. Haha.