October 07, 2013

10 reasons SEPTEMBER was AWESOME!

Skipping back a few weeks I found myself frolicking around Austria, wandering through deep green fields, exploring forests scattered with the first colourful fall leaves, watching wild deer upon sunset, enjoying the cuisine, company and lack of responsibility. My friends, family and relatives were absolutely wonderful, with all of them making time to see me.
Needless to say my holiday is what is dominating my top 10 for September, but some rather spectacular things occurred at my Australian home as well.

My start into the month October has been pretty stressful, as you can probably tell by my absence. I had a few delays on my way home that unfortunately led to me missing my connection flight to Brisbane, which was also the last one of the night. I had to stay in Melbourne until the next morning, which left me feeling lonely, angry, frustrated. All I wanted after an emotional good bye from my parents followed by a 25 hrs trip was to see my better half and sleep in my own bed.
I finally got home on the Thursday, only to return to work on Friday and work for nine days straight. Yesterday was my first day off and understandably enough I really just wanted to enjoy some silence, rest and relaxation.

It's amazing how quickly your batteries recharge though if you actively force yourself to do so. Rest, good food, exercise and a big portion of laughter and fun do wonders for your body and mind and were absolutely necessary these past two days after what has been a very exciting yet hectic month.

I still feel so incredibly grateful for being able to go overseas to see all my loved ones and I'm sure I will be able to feed off this holiday for yet another year in which interaction with my family and friends is limited to (admittedly marvellous) skype sessions and hilarious emails.

But let's get started with the 

TEN reasons September was AWESOME




1) PUPPY

We adopted a puppy from the RSPCA on the 4th of September. It wasn't an overnight decisions, we had been thinking about it and discussing it basically since we moved in together. Surprising as it may seem, it was always me who didn't think it was a sensible idea to get a puppy as we are both working full time and are avid travelers. What can I say? It would have been impossible for me to leave without a pet after stepping foot in the adoption centre. The hopeful looks in those neglected creature's eyes are heartbreaking and filled me with such disgust for mankind, I had to fight tears the whole way through. But being able to give our boy a good home gives me a sense of purpose, something so deep and satisfying no job could ever provide. If you're thinking of getting a pet, please visit your local adoption centre first and see if you don't connect with an animal there, before going to a pet store. Not only will you be a hero for saving a pet, but you will also save money in comparison to buying from a breeder or pet store. Not to mention the gratitude your new family member will shower you in day and night.


2) Disconnect

My three week holiday in Austria was a dearly needed break from work. Being on call takes its toll on you and you start forgetting what it's like NOT to be working or thinking about work. I switched off my work phone two hours before my flight and it was a moment I thoroughly enjoyed. Once in Austria I had my trusty laptop, but didn't take a phone or activate my Austrian mobile, as I was craving being disconnected, not having to rush, knowing that no one could reach me. Oh heavenly bliss.


3) Organico

If there is one thing I really miss about home, it is the quality and price of organic food. This sounds so profound but it haunts me weekly that I just cannot afford to buy organic produce or meat here, whereas overseas I can indulge in those organic and local foods that are packaged in recycled or biodegradable packaging (double the good conscious!).
I ate organic yoghurt out of glass jars which had to be washed and then taken back to the supermarket for a small store credit. Genius! Not sure why I am so excited about this concept now, as I grew up with this stuff, but let's just say it will be nice to see this or a similar system taking over all Western countries.


4) Pastry chef

It goes without saying that I spent a lot of time in the typical Austrian "Kaffeehaus". We're famous for our afternoon tea "coffee and cake culture" and, seeing as I couldn't disappoint my fellow countrymen, I completely overindulged. Blackforest cake, sponge cake, brioche, apple strudel... the list goes on. And don't get me started on the coffee...

cake cake cake cake cake

 5) The shopping

It's not cheap to shop back home, but I love buying statement pieces while I'm there. I decided to leave all my money at one particular Spanish retailer that starts with a "Z". I swore I wouldn't buy shoes either for obvious reasons and managed to buy four pairs. Yay me.
Post on my awesome new stuff is coming this week! Can I get a "Yeee-haa"?


6) Foundation fun

All make-up wearing humans will agree with me when I say it is THE hardest thing to find good foundation. It's either too thick, doesn't have great coverage, you never get the right colour, it irritates your skin and you end up scratching your face like a crack head. The list goes on.
I've put this off for ages but finally had the time to visit the MAC counter in Austria. Unpretentious and honest advice is what I wanted and exactly what I got. I now own the MAC face and body foundation and translucent powder (the foundation is a little oily), as well as their super thick concealer. It's a lot cheaper overseas so I definitely made a wise choice by putting my purchase off for a little while. While I'm not a super massive fan of their lipsticks (hyped up WAY too much for my taste), I am hands down impressed with this foundation and can recommend it to anyone with dry to normal skin. Free advertisement over and out.

7) Siblings to the left, siblings to the right

I got to spend some much needed quality time with my family, but also had a day with each my siblings individually, doing normal stuff and talking day-to-day shit. It's interesting how people think that, living so far away from my familia, it's the social events and the birthdays and the weddings that I feel worst about missing, when really it's partaking in daily life. Driving to the servo to get fuel, doing the groceries, eating lunch, getting ready for a night out, feeding the dogs - not being there for these profound tasks is the harshest reality about living abroad and is funnily enough what I enjoy doing the most while I'm over there.
I went on a road trip with my brother and have hardly laughed so hard in my life before. I had breakfast with my sister before she showed me her horse and how amazingly well she interacts with it. I downloaded apps for mum's iPad and talked smack with her, I watched travel movies with Dad while asking a million questions. I can't help but smile thinking back to these moments and anticipate all the ones that are yet to come.


8) I learned how to ride a Segway

I mean...how awesome? 
I want one. 
They're only EUR 8000.-
You buy for me, yes?


9) Ba-NANA-rama

The older I get, the more I enjoy talking to my grandmas. They are by far the coolest, strongest, most respectable and most genuine ladies on the planet. The conversations I had with both of them this past month are absolutely priceless and will be forever saved in my brain hole. I might pass them on to my own children. But only the non-R-rated topics. AHhhh...yes. Cheeky nanas.


10) I came home to the best human

Nuff said.


Album I was addicted to in September:

Arctic Monkeys - AM 

That one came as a surprise, didn't it?
Ahahah...ahhhh.
Hilarious me.
Bye.