April 19, 2013

On nostalgia and music festivals

It's that time of the year again where I have to actively watch my spending, because homesickness and travel bug are my steady companion. I am really looking forward to going overseas and I want to smash work so hard my bosses won't have a choice but to grant me a few weeks off by the time this year hits August.

With Asos doing their best to trick me into spending (mainly with this red blazer/coat or more a textured beautification cloak), I frequently have to slap my own wrists and close browsers in order to keep my savings account healthy.

But it is H&M dropping its festival attire that makes my heart skip a few beats. Just reading the subject line created a feeling of happy nostalgia in my belly - memories connected to the festival season and the inevitable scanning of H&M before departure to find the most exciting yet comfortable and sweat resistant outfit for a three day mud fest. I know I just talked about how superficial Coachella seems to be, that it's more fashion week than music festival and I still support that point of view, seeing as back in the day it was all about the music, not about street style photography. We wore band shirts, man and we took photos of the band, not each other. Yes, we bought new clothes beforehand but that was mostly because we worked hard all year (or sat through school, like me), just to experience those three days of awesomeness and hey, we just wanted to dress up for it. It. Not someone else's dslr.

Anyway since I am feeling happy thoughts I thought I should treat you to my TOP 5 festival and concert moments (although I might not even re-call some of the most awesome ones. Will definitely raid my computer for photos back in Austria next time I am home):

# 5:

ARCTIC MONKEYS AT FREQUENCY FESTIVAL 2006
The masses were overwhelming, girls screaming and pushing everywhere, I ended up fainting in the midst of the fandom and a security guard pulled me out. For about half a song I had a perfect view on Alex Tuner's pimple-scarred face (it was 2006 after all), then security dragged me out of the conveniently empty walkway between the two wave breakers (what is this called? Please help).
I wore probably dangerously unflattering grey pin stripe bermudas and a light pink tank top with polka dots (true story)

# 4

MANDO DIAO AND THE KILLERS AT NOVA ROCK 2007
Noone hear gives a shit about Mando Diao but in Europe they were big, bigger than the universe and who could blame their fan community - they were good looking Swedish boys with great accents and Beatle-esque pop songs. Maybe youtube them some time. The Killers need no introduction. They just dropped Bones. The concert was pretty good. I was very drunk and with the best people in the world, we danced on, muddy fields to 'Somebody told me'. I think I wore a striped top and white midlength lace skirt. Ugh....

# 3:

IAMX AT POSTHOF LINZ 2009
One word: HOT
I don't know what it is about Chris Corner, but I felt the same awkward attraction I did when I once saw Marilyn Manson live. Skinny metrosexual boys in crazy eye make up thrusting at their guitars. My strange addiction. I wore hooker boots and a knitted long-sleeved black dress and felt in awe of the blonde Cornell-version at the merch stand and remember buying a square button just to be able to talk to him. Lol. Oh youth.

# 2:

EAGLES OF DEATH METAL AT FREQUENCY FESTIVAL 2007 & 2008
This might seem like the biggest lie to you but Jesse Hughes blew me kisses on both of these shows. I know, right. I have witnesses if you don't believe me. He also threw up on stage during the first concert but kept on going in his tight as jeans. Because the crowd was amazing. Never felt more part of a big sweaty family than at these two shows. I do not recall in which awful threads I clothed myself for these shows.

# 1:
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE ON EVERY OF THE FOUR OCCASSIONS I GOT TO SEE THEM
During my first festival ever I saw Oasis, Foo Fighters, Incubus (they had just dropped Megalomaniac and were still good back then) and many more big names, but Queens of the Stone Age fucking rocked the show. I saw them again two years later, twice that year actually. It was balls crazy amazing. The last time I saw them they toured their newest record (Era Vulgaris in 2008) and a friend and I jumped on a train to Vienna with a bottle of Captain Morgans Rum and plenty of red lipstick. The show was fantastic, it included some well known and loved lessons on concert crowd etiquette (LOTS of swearing and name calling, great stuff). We ended up missing our last train home end found ourselves in a dingy cafe in which drugs were dealt and hookers were booked. Great times.
Can you imagine how excited I am for their new record? Six more weeks. Until then I shall feed off the single they just released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-90obSa1Az4&feature=youtube_gdata_player