January 29, 2011

The food might not be cheap, but the girls are

One major advantage about living in Australia, besides floods that (not taking into account all the really terrible stuff they cause) destroy heaps of crops, and therefore leading to ridiculous food prices such as AUD 3,99 for a (1) limp lettuce or AUD 9,99 for a kilo of apples, is the closeness to Asia. Indonesia is pretty much just a swim away, Thailand is around the corner and you can see the sparkling lights of Hong Kong airport after just one night on the plane. For my next holiday (after Europe, hum...) I would like to go to Japan though, as my brother and his girlfriend are there at the moment and Tokyo is a place that has always fascinated me. On top of that there's anime, kitsch and furry boots. And don't tell me you don't like furry boots.

Before that, I want to get stuck into Japanese and calligraphy. Whenever I visit a country, I at least want to be able to say basic stuff like "thanks", or "g'day". In the end, preparing a trip and doing some homework regarding culture and language will always make your holiday more special and exciting. Personally I think there's nothing worse than a bunch of arrogant tourists having a whinge about not finding a burger joint or English speaking bar keepers to pour them their scooner in a foreign country.  And knowledge's never hurt anybody (seriously).

Due to my current financial situation (that makes me whine about spending four bugs on salade), I cannot afford the flight yet. However, I already have and idea about how to get there and avoid an expensive airfare:

Anybody got mothra's phone number?